Thursday, June 14, 2012

One of the fastest growing, predatory freshwater fish from China, it can reach a length of 6 feet and over 150 pounds. It has always been looked at as a pest fish since it will eat all the other commercially valuable fish in the lakes. From my previous experience this fish is peaceful towards other fish it cannot swallow, however it does have a straight gut, meaning that the stomach cannot hold food for longer periods of time, so it must eat frequently. I personally raised one that grew from 1" to 20" in less than 3 months time. This fish is now deemed a delicacy in parts of China and also a highly sought after sport fish. This fish can tolerate a wide range of temperature from near freezing to 80 degrees with no problem. This fish was not available outside of China, nor was it ever in the hobby trade until recently. I had imported 3 live specimens for my collection back in 2006, which cost me 1500 usd each and a huge box to ship each one in. These are now imported at a more manageable size, the one pictured being about 6" total length, feeding on cut shrimp and pellets already. Very hardy fish otherwise, and did I say Rare?

1 comment: