Friday, October 15, 2010

This is an excerpt from MFK - It was not written by me or my opinion. I'll post my opinion in the reply.

I notice this on every party boat I go on. They clean, gut, and fillet the fish alive, then toss the carcass aside, which sometimes is STILL breathing. I don't get why it's so hard to keep a little hammer by the fillet tables, and use it to "put out" the fish before they fillet it. It's like an extra 3 seconds added to the process. My friend carries a PVC pipe with an 8oz lead weight jammed in the end for such a purpose, to instantly "put out" fish he catches. Supposedly it tastes better, since when fish struggle to death, they build up lactic acid fermentation in their body.

But I just think that gutting and filleting a fish that is still obviously alive is just downright cruel.
Opinions?

(Note: Keep if civil. It did not stay civil when I posted it on the local fishing forum. There is no reason to turn this into a flamefest. I think this has potential to be a great discussion. Unfortunetaly, it also has potential to be a great flamewar, but let's not.)

4 comments:

  1. Look, wake up people, fishing, catch and release, hunting for trophies, catching for food, buying steak from the market, none of which is HUMANE. If you want to be humane and true to what you believe then be a vegetarian.

    Clubbing a fish over the head before gutting it sure paints a prettier picture in some people's minds, however its not much better. You do realize that cows are not sedated when they're slaughtered. Let me ask you the question, is it more humae if I clubbed a dog before skinning it or just chopping its head off first? Either way its not.

    People need to get their head out of their ass. Enticing a fish with what appears to be food, impaling it in the mouth, posing with it on camera then releasing it, so it will suffer some infections, weak from the fight, cannot escape the predators, and maybe die a slow death. Some will live, but would you do this to the fish in your own fish tank?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People in America especially are so hypocritical, with their comments about how the Japanese kill this and that, Koreans eating dogs, and Chinese eating tigers. Yes, I agree that those can and should all be avoided, but Americans kill for the sheer joy of killing. American bisons were nearly killed to extinction, it wasn't done by the Chinese I can tell you that. Have you watched Dances with Wolves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you chose to eat meat, which I do sometimes, less now days than before. Then you and I have no right to judge how other people kill their animals. I do not like people that find pleasure in torturing animals that is an entire different subject. I do believe that certain animals should be protected if they're endangered. However, a life is a life, so a baby hydrocynus goliath, or epinephalus lanceolatus, even though it may grow into a majestic fish, is not more "worthy", "sacred" than the feeder goldfish you so willingly sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and yes, I do agree with minimizing the suffering if possible, I do it all the time, if I see a fish flopping around for a long time in the bucket, it makes me want to eat it a lot less.

    ReplyDelete